Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A Taste of What's to Come by T. Coheese


First of all, you should know that I’m a fantastic liar. Ignore the paradox, and accept I’m telling you the truth. Now, I’m not always such a galactic asshole, so this only applies to some situations. I’m a normal asshole the other times. If I’m pressed for time to get to my next appointment, or it’s getting late in the day (more on that in a bit), I will tell you exactly what you think you want to hear. I look for cues that you give me on how best to extinguish the fire that is your cable emergency (TV, internet, or phone). I won’t troubleshoot the source of the fire; I’m just giving you a pacifier. I will not only get you involved in helping me sell you a lie, but I will also steer you into believing that you had the solution for your problem the entire time. Audience participation is grand, is it not?

Without further ado, I will cite an example I use every day. This concerns swapping your equipment. I’ll keep things simple and use a modem for this example. If you hint that you think your rented modem is faulty, I’ll exchange it for you and praise you for pointing out something so simply obvious. I’ll even agree with you that the previous tech “didn’t do his job.” Chances are pretty good, however, that there is a more severe underlying issue that needs attending to, but I don’t fucking care because I’m one moment closer to going home for the day. This is my ultimate goal for every goddamn day I work: going home as early as fuck if possible. Everything else (your problems, your concerns, traffic, your empty threats of canceling your service, etc.) is just an impediment to this.

 Will I really change your modem if it was working fine when I got to your home? No, or rather, I’ll change it if you have the decency not to treat me like a servant or an imbecile on the basis that you just flat-out want a different modem. Your honesty scores big points with me, and I’m more willing to extend to you that courtesy even if that tree bears no fruit. You’ll hear no complaints from me, and you’ll, at least, have equipment you believe won’t fuck up on you.

Under most other circumstances, though, I will not exchange it. I will, however, give you the illusion that I will. Let me explain. I unplug every cable from your modem. I take your modem to my van but leave the cables in your home. At this point, if you’re an observant customer, you should be suspicious. I may have only one modem left in my van, or I may have six, but if I go to my van with only your modem, I don’t intend to exchange it for another one. When I get to my van, I’ll remove any stickers that are on your modem (Gen 3 Tested, Tested By, etc.) and give it a quick wipe-down with WD-40. Then, I’ll dry it off as best I can. I’ll then look around my van for some left-over shrink wrap. I’ll grab a nearby power cord (although, it doesn’t even have to be a modem power cord), a packaged Ethernet cable, and lazily shove all three into the shrink wrap. As I’m reentering your home, I’ve already begun acting as if I’m struggling with the shrink wrap on the new modem. I do this because I don’t want you to notice that I came back with your old modem and open and wrinkled shrink wrap. I’ll install it the same way you previously had it installed. By this time, I’ve got you fully believing the lie. I’m a great performance artist, I know. At which point, I’ll offer you to keep the new power cord and Ethernet cable. I don’t care if the power cord is for another piece of equipment like a cable box. If you accept either or both of them, I am, basically, giving you my trash to throw away. What the eyes see the mind believes, right? If you truly want a tech to swap out your equipment, be honest, decent and ask him to first bring the new equipment into your home. It’s not a guarantee this will fix anything, but you’ll have the peace of mind of having different equipment.

-T. Coheese

No comments:

Post a Comment